top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Prior to meeting with a practitioner, patients are screened for qualification in accordance with the rules of the Compassionate Care Act. Patients deemed eligible will receive guidance regarding required documentation of their condition and evidence of New York State residency. At this point, an appointment will be scheduled with one of our practitioners.

During the evaluation, your practitioner will conduct a discussion of your reasons for wanting to medicate with cannabis and a review of your medical history. This typically takes 20 - 30 minutes. If your physician decides medical cannabis will help your condition, s/he will discuss risks and benefits as well as provide guidance regarding which products and doses will be most beneficial to your particular condition(s), symptom(s), and lifestyle, plus information regarding the available dispensaries. At this point, you will receive a signed certification. With this certification, you can go online and obtain your Medical Marijuana Card.


  • How do I get started?

    • The are a few steps in the process that you will need to complete but don't worry, we will guide you every step of the way! The first step is to request a consultation. We ask for your basic contact information, as well as what condition(s) qualify you in accordance with the Compassionate Care Act. Once you fill out the consultation form you can move on to uploading your supporting documents.

  • What do I need to book an appointment?

    • Before you book an appointment, you will need to send a copy of your medical documents or a medical note from your physician stating your diagnosis (at least one of the qualifying conditions or a condition our physician determines would benefit from the use of cannabis) and one proof of New York State residency.  Documentation of a medical condition & of your New York State residency or temporary New York residency while seeking medical treatment here is required. We can work with you to obtain the required documents. Once your documents have been submitted and reviewed by a physician, we can schedule your appointment.


    • If you suffer from chronic pain you will need additional information. Your medical diagnosis or medical letter from your physician must state that you have had pain or anticipate that you will have pain longer than 3 months. It must state that you have tried other treatment options that have failed (i.e. tried pain medication, surgery, or other treatments).

You only need ONE of the following:

1. A New York State Driver’s License or New York State Identification Card. *(Please note: NYCID is not an acceptable form of identification.)

2. A copy of a utility bill (i.e: Electricity Bill, Cable Bill, Internet Bill) indicating an applicant’s current residency (MUST contain the applicant's name and address listed. The bills should backtrack two months.)

3. A copy of the current lease indicating an applicant’s residency within New York State.

  • Is it safe to upload my documents online?

    • Absolutely! We use a HIPPA-compliant and encrypted upload method that is verified as safe and secure. Your privacy and protection are always our number one priority. Alternatively, you may fax the required documents to us at 212-784-6896.

  • I clicked the "Schedule" button, but it's asking for a password, what do I do? 

    • You need to complete steps 1 & 2 before you can unlock the schedule feature. First, complete the consultation form. Next, when you have gathered the required documents, upload the documents to our staff for us to review. An associate will reach out to you with a password for you to schedule your visit. Alternatively, you can call us to schedule your visit (you will be asked to provide documentation before you are seen.)

  • What conditions can marijuana be used to treat?

    • New York State has expanded the qualifying conditions. CDONY can certify you for any medical condition, some examples are the following conditions:

      • ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

      • Cancer

      • Chronic Pain/Acute Pain

      • Epilepsy

      • HIV

      • Huntington's Disease

      • Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)

      • Intractable spasticity due to spinal cord damage

      • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

      • Neuropathies

      • Parkinson's Disease

      • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)


  • Where is my certification valid?

    • Certifications are valid at all dispensaries in New York State. We also provide guidance for reciprocity laws if you plan to travel and use your medication. Not all states allow for reciprocity and it is important that you take the time to research and plan accordingly before using your medication outside of NYS.

  • Can I get a renewal?

    • Yes. If you have been seen by one of our physicians we can schedule an appointment for a renewal. 

  • Can I get a renewal if I've been certified by a doctor, not in your practice? 

    • Yes. If you have been certified by a doctor who is not in our practice, you will have to have that certificate canceled and then we can begin the process for a new certificate. 

  • What marijuana products are available in New York State?

    • NYS dispensaries offer oral sprays, tinctures, gummies, lozenges, tablets, isolate powder, suppositories, topical ointments, vapor cartridges, and cannabis flower buds. We offer a comprehensive dispensary & product guide to all of our current patients.

  • Is it safe to use Marijuana Vape Products?

    • The NYS Department of Health urges all New Yorkers to stop using vape products until the definitive cause of reported vaping-associated serious pulmonary (lung) illnesses nationwide can be better determined. Since the investigation into the illnesses began, there have been no reports of adverse events associated with approved products in the NYS Medical Marijuana Program related to the outbreak. Medical marijuana products are approved by the Department and rigorously tested for contaminants, pesticides, and concentration of cannabinoids, including, but not limited to Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD). However, out of an abundance of caution, we are also urging patients in the medical marijuana program to consult with their healthcare providers on potential alternatives to vaping products while the investigation continues.

      For information about vaping-associated illnesses, read the facts at

bottom of page